According to a report submitted in 2019, approximately 276 million fully functioning vehicles were registered in the U.S. that year. The year after that reportedly showed 286.9 million registered cars in the country. And as the Federal Highway Administration stated, 93% of the total households in America had access to at least one functioning vehicle a couple of years ago.
With these statistics, you can safely assume that a business related to cars will have a wide margin for success. And if you love automobiles just as much as every other reader here, then using something you love as an alternative means of making a living can be a great way to enjoy and earn at the same time.
To help you jump-start your business venture, here are some suggestions:
- Restoration Services — There will always be hobbyists and loyal lovers of classic cars around the world. These collectors will do everything and pay as much as you want them to if it means getting their hands on such classic beauties. The key to establishing a great classic car restoration business is finding the right target market. Once you get that, keep your passion burning by reminding yourself that a restored 1963 Ferrari 250 GTO was bought at $70 million in 2018.
- Mechanic Services — Opening your own garage can be one of the most fulfilling businesses you could ever have, especially if you enjoy getting your hands greased up under the hood. And with the demand for private vehicles increasing due to the pandemic, there will always be customers waiting for your help.
- Car Parts Retailing — Much like setting up your own garage, having a shop for car parts will rarely have downtime as well. Since there will always be a car in need of fixing, it seems highly plausible that there will also always be a part in need of replacing. And what’s even better is the fact that you don’t have to focus on functionality entirely. You can also sell parts purely for aesthetic purposes and still end up getting sold out.
- Used car buy-and-sell — With the pandemic affecting the world economically, there are many of those in need of buying cars to avoid exposure yet don’t have enough financial means to buy brand-new vehicles. This is where you come in. You can buy used cars from those who need cash and resell them to those who need cars at cheaper prices. You’ll be helping a lot of people while improving your finances at the same time.
- Errand Services — If you enjoy driving more than anything else, this might be the one for you. Multiple errand services can help you earn extra income as you drive to calm your mind. There are multiple ride-hailing companies that you can work for. Think carpooling but more financially helpful. But if you don’t want to drive drunk people to after-parties, you can opt for food delivery instead.And since technology is pumped up to make everyone’s life easier, there are now mobile apps that serve as platforms connecting people who want to stay at home to car owners willing to go to the store to buy their groceries at the right price.
- Moving Services — Depending on the kinds of drive you enjoy and the kinds of vehicles you’re familiar with, you can start a moving company. Movers are in demand. Especially now since businesses are starting to open again and people are more prone to relocating. If you enjoy long drives in the wee hours, you can start a long-distance moving business. But if that’s not your style, a local moving company can also be successful.
- Vlogging — You don’t have to sweat it even if you don’t have the capital to start a business. If you are knowledgeable about cars and you see yourself as quite the entertainer, this can be an easier and more enjoyable way to earn loads of cash. Video streaming sites have had an increase in usage over the past years. Nowadays, people get to earn a lot by recording themselves talking about a specific niche. The keys are to find something you’re interested in and never be shy to make a fool out of yourself.
- Blogging — Now, this one doesn’t even require a camera and post-processing skills. You just need to write ideas much like this one and publish them online. As long as you know what you’re talking about, you’ll have readers who follow your every word. To ensure your success early on, use social media sites to improve your marketability.
The bottom line
It’s time to hit the gas and start using your love and enthusiasm for automobiles to fuel your grind. Who knows, maybe this will be the break you’ve been looking for. See what I did there?